Register a death in Staffordshire: How, Where, Who When.
Contact the Staffordshire Registration Service to register a death in Staffordshire.
Before you do any more, you may want to watch the informative video on our home page.
To make dealing with a death in Staffordshire a little easier, Staffordshire Registration Services work with other Government departments to offer a confidential service called Tell Us Once: it just requires an extra few minutes when you register a death in Staffordshire. This means that you will be able to just tell Staffordshire Registration Office once, and they tell many other government departments and local authority services on your behalf.
When do I have to register a death in Staffordshire?
A death in Staffordshire must be registered with 5 days unless the Registrar grants an extension, or the Staffordshire Coroner is involved in which case his office will advise when you can register the death.
Who can register a death in Staffordshire.
If you are the next of kin, no problem, if you are not, the check to see if you are an appropriate person to register a death in Staffordshire.
I can’t register the death in Staffordshire.
If it is not convenient to register a death in Staffordshire, you can register the death at any Register Office in England or Wales “by declaration.” However, this does create a slight delay as the formal registration can only take place at the Register Office in the district in which the person died. Therefore the Registrar you visit must send the information to the Registrar local to the death who will register the death formally, only then issuing the necessary certificates which will be posted to you. Only when you have received the “green form” can you give that to the undertaker so he can proceed with the funeral – so there could be a delay.
Register a death in Staffordshire: main contact.
Tel: 0300 111 8001 Fax: 01785 276026 Mini Com: 01785 276207
Register a death in Staffordshire: Local Registration Offices.
Appointments are available from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday:
Late night opening at Stafford, Burton and Newcastle Offices, please ask for more information.
• Stafford Office, Boscobel Room, 1 Staffordshire Place, Stafford, ST16 2LP
• Burton Registration Office, 57-60 High Street, Burton upon Trent, DE14 1JS
• Queens Hospital Burton, Belevdere Road, Burton on Trent, DE13 ORB
• Cannock Registration Office, 5 Victoria Street, Cannock, WS11 1AG
• Lichfield Registration Office, The Old Library Building, Bird Street, Lichfield, WS13 6PN
• Newcastle Registration Office, 20 Sidmouth Avenue, Newcastle under Lyme, ST5 0QN
• Stafford Hospital, Weston Road, Stafford, ST16 3SA
The following Staffordshire Registration offices are part-time and are by appointment only:
• Biddulph Office, Town Hall, High Street, Biddulph, Stoke-on-Trent, ST8 6AR
• Cheadle Office, 15a – 17 High Street, Cheadle, ST10 1AA
• Kidsgrove Office, Town Hall, Liverpool Road, Kidsgrove, ST7 4EH
• Leek Office, Moorlands District Council, Stockwell Street, Leek, ST13 6HQ
• Rugeley Office, Council Offices, Anson Street, Rugeley, WS15 2BH
• Uttoxeter Office, Balance Street Surgery, Balance Street, Uttoxeter, ST14 8JG
• Tamworth Registration Office, Church Street, Tamworth, B79 7BX
• Wombourne Registration Office, Civic Centre, Gravel Hill, Wombourne, WV5 9HA
For enquiries or to make an appointment to register a death in Staffordshire:
Tel: 0300 111 8001 Fax: 01785 276026
Deaf or hard of hearing: Mini Com: 01785 276207
The Minicom service is a telephone typewriter device for communication between deaf, hard of hearing, speech-impaired and/or hearing persons.
All of of Staffordshire Registrars information leaflets are available in a range of formats and languages, including Braille and large print.
Staffordshire Coroners Service
The Staffordshire (South) Coroner is Mr Andrew A Haigh. The Deputy Coroner is Mrs Margaret J Jones or by one of the Assistant Deputy Coroners.
The Coroner’s office is at:
Number One Staffordshire Place Stafford ST16 2LP
Tel: 01785 276127 Email: email@example.com Fax: 01785 276128