Registering a Death Barking and Dagenham

Registering a death in Barking and Dagenham

First, download our free Tips and the Guide to Probate so you are more familiar with what every wants from you, and the pitfalls which may cost you time and money.  It is HERE as are our contact details for professional Probate Advice (NOT Registering the death- read on below). You might find the video about registering a death on the home page useful first.  Should you need the services of an independent family run undertaker click here.

Registering a death in Barking and Dagenham if Death Occurs in Hospital

The hospital staff will contact the person named as next of kin. This may be, but need not be, a relative. You may ask to see the hospital chaplain. The hospital will keep the body in its mortuary until the executor arranges for it to be removed by the undertaker. Most have a chapel of rest in which the body will be kept until the funeral. The hospital will arrange for the nearest relative to collect the deceased’s possessions.

Registering a death in Barking and Dagenham if Death Occurs outside the area.

Where the death was expected, contact the doctor who looked after the deceased during their final illness. If the doctor is able to certify the cause of death he or she will give you the following:

1) Medical Certificate – showing the cause of death (this is free of charge and will be in a sealed envelope addresses to the registrar).

2) Formal Notice – which confirms the doctor has signed the necessary Medical Certificate and advises you how to get the death registered.

You may contact the deceased’s priest/ vicar etc  if you have not already done so. Arrangements for the funeral are usually made by a funeral director.

If the deceased suffered from HIV or AIDS there may be special requirements for handling the body and the following organisations can advise on funeral arrangements:

  • London Lighthouse
  • FACTS Health Centre
  • Terence Higgins Trust.

Registering a death in Barking and Dagenham which was Unexpected.

If  the death is sudden or unexpected, you must contact the following:

  • the family doctor (if known)
  • the deceased’s nearest relative
  • the deceased’s minister of religion
  • the police, who will help to find the people listed above if necessary

Should there be any reason to think the death was not natural, don’t touch or remove anything. The death may well be referred to the coroner. The doctor may ask the relatives for permission to carry out a post-mortem examination to find out more about the cause of death and should not delay the funeral.

Reporting A Death To A Coroner in Barking and Dagenham

The doctor may report the death to the coroner if it is through an accident or injury, an industrial disease, occurs during a surgical operation before recovery from anaesthetic, if the cause of death is not known, if the death was sudden or unexpected.

The family will be told if the death has to be reported to the Coroner.  If this happens, the death cannot be registered in Barking and Dagenham nor the funeral take place until the Coroner authorises it.

A Coroner can order a post-mortem without relative’s permission. This should confirm the cause of death. The Coroner may also hold an inquest into the circumstances leading to the death. When an inquest is called, the Coroner’s Office will advise the relatives. This is a legal formality and should not be taken as an indication that anything is wrong.

Then the Death Certificate will be sent direct to you from the Coroner’s Office and the relatives must still go to the Registrar to register the death formally. The death cannot be registered until the conclusion of the inquest, but a certificate will usually be issued at the opening of the inquest to allow the funeral to take place.

When Does a Death in Barking and Dagenham Need To Be Registered?

Registering a death in Barking and Dagenham should take place within 5 days unless the Coroner is investigating the circumstances of the death. The 5 day period can be extended to 14 days in certain circumstances.

Who Must Register The Death in the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham?

People with legal ability to register a death include:

  • A relative
  • A person present at the death
  • The occupier of the premises where the death occurred if he/she knew of it happening
  • The person arranging the funeral. (NOT the funeral director).
    (There is also a list on the Notice to Informants attached to the Doctor’s medical certificate).

What Documents Do I Take To The Barking and Dagenham Register Office?

  • The medical certificate of cause of death issued by the doctor is essential. (If the Coroner is involved, the Coroner’s Office will advise you).
  • The deceased’s birth certificate or passport (if available).
  • The deceased’s medical card if possible.

What Questions Will The Barking and Dagenham Registrar Ask Me?

The Registrar will need to know:

  • The date and place of death.
  • The full name, and maiden name if any of the person who has died.
  • The occupation and, if a married woman or widow, the full name of her husband.
  • The usual residential address.
  • The date of birth of the surviving spouse (if any).
  • Whether the person who has died was receiving a pension from public funds.

The Registrar will put all these details into a database and give you the opportunity to check them. The information will then be formally written into a register. This is the legal record which you should check very carefully before signing it, as any mistakes discovered later on may cause problems.

What Documents Will I Get from the Barking and Dagenham Registrar?

  • The Green Form allows you to arrange the funeral
    (If the Coroner is involved different procedures will apply).
  • A form for Social Security purposes.
  • Certified copies of the death certificate can also be obtained for a fee.

Where Must The Death Be Registered in Barking and Dagenham?

The death must be registered in the District Register Office for the area (town/city) in which it occurred and for registering a death in Barking and Dagenham that is:

The Registrar Of Births Deaths Marriages & Civil Partnerships
Arden House
198 Longbridge Road
Barking and Dagenham Metropolian Borough
IG11 8SY

Telephone: 0208 270 4744

Fax: 0208 270 4745

Registering a death in Barking and Dagenham

Professional Advice on Probate