Body to be taken out of the Country – Body Repatriation

Body to be taken out of the Country?

Body to be taken out of the country, that is from England and Wales, it is necessary to give notice to the coroner for the area where the deceased is. Requests for the repatriation of the deceased to their home country must be approved by the local coroner. On another tack, if you need our free guide to Probate, or help with probate, go here.

(Back to what to do on death)

There is no restriction on the movement of bodies within England and Wales. However, notice is required where the removal is to Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands, not just when the body is to be taken out of the country.

A notice (form 104) can be obtained from a registrar or a coroner. The certificate for burial or cremation (if already issued) must be given to the coroner with the notice.

The coroner will acknowledge receipt of the notice and say when the body may be taken out of the country. This will normally be after four clear days from the day when the coroner received the notice. If it is urgent, the person giving notice to the coroner should speak to him or her personally since it may be possible to allow the removal sooner than the four days.

Contact the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages in the area the body is in if you can’t find the relevant Coroners contact details. The registrar will always be able to supply you with the coroners contact details.

Once satisfied that everything is in order, the Coroner will issue an Out of England Order which will need to be shown to everyone involved in arranging for the deceased to be taken out of the country. Be aware that the Regulations involved in allowing a body to be taken out of the country are complex and the last thing anyone wants at such as sad time is to fall foul of the legal authorities and further delay repatriation. Speak to the Coroners Officer and he or she will undoubtedly point you in the right direction.

Body to be taken out of the CountryBody to be taken out of the Country